Thursday, June 3, 2010

Precious

As I happily flipped over to the next page of my scripture-a-day-little-spiral-flippy-thing the other morning, the words caught me off guard:  "Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints." (Psalm 116:15)

I've always heard it - at funerals, mostly.  Death is precious. Go figure.  Babies are precious...but death? Not so much.

It's so hard for us mortals to even comprehend -- how could God count as precious that which causes the rest of us such pain?  And yet, it reminds me of the time I asked my mom if it bothered her that so many of her friends were dying at this stage in her life.  Her face literally lit up and she exclaimed, "Oh, no!  That's our HOPE!"  My perspective on death was instantly changed that day.  As the days of mom's life grew dimmer and she had her sights fixed on heaven, it became clear to me that the death of a saint is not only precious in the sight of the Lord, it is precious to the saint as well.

1 comment:

  1. I agree we seem to celebrate on new births than those that are celebrating a new life with Jesus and all the saints in heaven.
    I am reading your blogs and I am inspired to take each day as my last and to be passionate about what I do. Sue Manning suemdhttr@msn.com

    ReplyDelete